Sunday, December 26, 2010

Intro: Can John Eat?

I love to eat, my waist line shows it.  I am working hard to remedy that not at the expense of eating delicious food, first step is to cut out the junk and make some good choices in most of my meals.  Then every once and a while I can go wild.

Foods I love? In the past couple of years I have become passionate about Thai food, thanks to a local Portland eatery Pok Pok.  One of the best restaurants I have ever been to.  You can bet I will thoroughly cover Pok Pok in this blog. 

My wife is from Mexico City, food and family is what life is all about for people there.  We have been to Mexico several times together and love going of food expeditions.

I was a missionary for my church in Brazil.  I lived there for a couple of years, and lived in one of the culinary meccas of Brazil, the state of Minas Gerais.  Amazing stews, cheeses, snacks, sweets, you name it.  I had some of the most amazing meals of my life in the most humble of homes.  I have a deep love and appreciation for the wonderful people of Brazil.

Germany, while I wasn't an Army brat per se, my father worked for the Dept. of the Army as a civil servant and we lived in Germany from age 4 to 10, I was young but I took in a lot, I'd dare say more than most American kids that lived overseas.  Not only did I have the rare priviledge of having two parents fluent in German but they loved the culture and while many American Expats longed for McDonalds and Pizza Hut we got to dive in the deep end of the German culture.  As a young boy I'd get my weekly allowance hop on my little bike go to the base exchange it for Deutsche Marks and head to what we expats ignorantly called "German Town" and hit all the local pastry shops and toys stores.  From what I remember I was quite the novelty among the German Merchants, this cute (I was cute, make that awesomely adorable) American kid coming into the German Stores speaking broken German.  I had no fear, I have had the blessing that Language or lack there of has never been an obstacle to me.

Southern Food and BBQ.  From 11 - 20 I lived in Northern Virginia, while there wasn't a lot of BBQ or collards served in our house I acquired a love for that at friends local eateries. I remember our local convienince store, Highs Dairy Store had a crock pot of pulled pork behind the register, when ever I saved up a buck and change I'd walk down there and get a BBQ Sandwich and Mellow yellow.  I'd sit on the curb infront of the store and be in Nirvana for about the next 7 minutes. And, that was terrible BBQ would be a while before I got introduced to the good stuff. Biscuits and gravy, real mac and cheese I love it all. I now have a smoker that cranks out a lot of BBQ, and I have passed on the love of Q to my boys.

Mom, well I think many of us long for those foods our mothers made for us growing up.  My mom was Iowa born and raised and it showed in her food.  My Dad was an early bird my mom was a night owl, she while the rest of us were in bed she'd start to make all kinds of goodies, one of my all time favorites was her Cinderella Cake and Coffee butter icing.  I have had more than one dream about that!

I have a varied and eclectic taste in food, so I thought I'd document some of the foods I love, some new things I'll try and any good places to eat I find.  I love to talk food so if there are any comments, corrections criticisms or questions let me have them, post them in the comments or email me.  Visit my other blog Can John Cook? for recipes and preparation techniques.

No comments:

Post a Comment