Friday, December 31, 2010

Pambazos - Mexican Sloppy Joe?!?!

Pambazo my wife made 12/31/10
I guess you can say that Pambazos are similar to a Sloppy Joe, but only in the sense they are both messy to eat and the both are a sandwich but I think at that point the similarities stop and the Pambazo is much better!

Pambazos are very regional in Mexico, in my experience only people from certain areas are familiar or ever had a Pambazo.  It differs from area to area.  I think Mexico City aka "DF" or as they'd pronouce in Spanish (Deh Efy) for Districto Federal.  Is the most typical version and the one my wife and her family makes.  They are all from the DF. :-)

The bread is a Mexican style roll called bolillo (bo-LEE-yoh) , it is similar to baguette but it is shorter, fatter, doesn't have a crisp of a crust and the inside is doughier.  They cut the roll in half as you would to make a sandwich, dip the crusts in a sauce made from re-hydrated Guajillo chiles that are blended with some of the soaking liquid and some salt to make a smooth sauce. The bread is then fried on a griddle with a little oil both the crust side and the inside of the roll


Then it is filled with a mixture of potato and chorizo sausage, then garnished with salsa verde, crema mexicana (sour cream more similar to creme fraiche), lettuce and queso fresco.

Hands down Pambazos are better than any Sloppy Joe.  If people are interested and let me know I will but the recipe on my other blog http://canjohncook.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment